The objective of this work meeting is to serve as a convergence hub for researchers and academics working on the application of artificial intelligence, machine learning, evolutionary computing and connected areas to both the area of energy generation, production, and transformation with an ecologically-minded approach and the construction of eco-aware machine learning models and algorithms.
The scope of this meeting is in what we have called Green AI, that is, applications of AI for understanding and modeling climate change and renewables and how to make AI itself more ecological. For example, there are reports that the CO2 generated when training a state of the art NLP model is 6 times the CO2 generated by a car in all its lifetime.
To address this we should take a multi-aspect approach involving efficient cloud computing placement. Smart optimization techniques like evolutionary algorithms, active and transfer learning, etc.
- March 3rd, 2020 from 9:30 to 13:00.
- Departamento de Engenharia Elétrica, Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro.
- Predio Cardeal Leme, 4to andar Sala Multimeios do DEE (entrada por sala 401L).
- Rua Marquês de São Vicente, 225, Gávea, Rio de Janeiro, RJ – Brasil – 22451-900.
The spirit of the meeting is to generate a productive open discussion. Therefore the program will self-adjust as the meeting progresses.
- 9:30 — 9:40 Welcome by Marley Vellasco and Nayat Sánchez.
- 9:40 — 10:30 Nayat Sánchez. Inria Research Center in Chile: Articulating collaboration.
- 10:30 — 11:00 — Coffee break —
- 11:00 — 11:45 Luis Martí. The Green AI project: Status and vision.
- 11:45 — 12:25 Participant presentations (*see note below).
- 12:25 — 12:55 Devising next actions and steps.
- 12:55 — 13:00 Final remarks.
*Note: We encourage participants to come with a brief presentation or summary of different research activities or interests connected to the project to present and discuss them.
Today we had the Green AI work meeting together with researchers of LNCC, PUC-Rio, UERJ and UFF 🇫🇷 🇨🇱 🇧🇷. The first of many in the area of #greenai and #frugalcomputing. Follow us 👉 https://t.co/roFAda00NM. Thanks to the #CLIMATAmSud regional program. @inria_chile #AIforGood pic.twitter.com/lrfhG4PXqY
— Nayat Sanchez-Pi (@nayatsanchezpi) March 3, 2020
How to participate
Participation is open to everyone. We just request that you let us know in advance for logistics reasons using the following form: